How to Build Shed Doors
How to build shed doors is a critical part of a successful shed building project.Don’t worry though; building shed doors is really quite simple, especially when compared to the bigger feat of building an actual shed.
You can always purchase a pre-built door, and simply adjust it, or install it as is, to your shed. However, seeing as to how this option is more expensive, you might consider building your own shed door from scratch. This does not need to be too complicated if you are an accomplished woodworker. However if you are not then you might need to consider getting some plans and/or instructions from the internet because for a beginner or a one off project building shed doors does have the potential to go badly wrong. Badly hung or badly constructed shed doors can set to naught a lot of the good work you have done in building your storage shed.
If you want a simple wooden door, then all you need is to construct a rectangular shape out of wood that is the same size as the gap in your shed. It is a good idea to reinforce your door by placing wood planks in the shape of a “Z” on the back. After that, all you need to do is attach the door braces and hinges and voila!
How to build a shed door
A more detailed look at how to build a shed door will entail the following
1. Measure your opening accurately to the nearest 1/8th of an inch
2. Use a framing square to ensure that the opening frame is square
3. Many older buildings, through sagging, expansion and contraction and movement will not have square frames-you need to build your door to suit or else reframe the opening
4. Get your timber that you are going to use for the door-either finish cut or rough cut-and make sure it is completely dry. One inch thick is kind of standard but anything slightly more or less is up to yourself
5. set out your timber so that the combined width is what you need for your opening; you will need to rip the end board with a circular saw to ensure a perfect width
6. Use the board that you have cut as the middle board in your door as this will give your door a more uniform appearance
7. Now for your braces referred to above in a “z” pattern-this involves one brace at the top, one at the bottom and a diagonal brace
8. Then cut your door to the perfect length and add whatever hardware you choose by way of a barrel bolt or gate pull or a gate latch and depending on what you intend storing you might need to give some thought to security and locking.
That in a nutshell is the outline of how to build a shed door.
Of course, if the door is made of metal, or if you need a sliding door or double doors, it gets a bit more complicated.
Metal doors require extra planning and materials than the wooden doors. However, they are sometimes the more ideal option, especially if the rest of your shed is metal, or if you live in an area where there are termites.
How to Build Double Shed Doors
There are many tutorials available online detailing how to build double shed doors. It is probably best for you to find and read one if you plan on building double doors for your shed as the options are very wide. Likewise, if you need a sliding door, either metal or wood, be sure to look up some tutorials that will take you on a step-by-step guide on how to build them.
When budgeting to build your door (or doors), be sure to account for what type of handle you would like to use. You can always purchase one, or make your own. Depending on how big your shed is, it might also be a good idea to install a handle on the inside of the shed so that no one gets stuck inside by accident.
It’s easy to find out how to build shed doors by doing a quick Internet search. Be sure that the plan you use is ideal for the type of shed that you have.
- Garden Shed Doors | Storage Shed Doors Your shed doors are an important part of any shed...
- How to Build a Shed Door | Building A Shed Door The steps involved in how to build a shed door...
- Sliding Barn Door Plans If you are looking to build a sliding barn door,...
- Gambrel Shed Plans-2 Compelling Reasons to Build a Gambrel Shed Not only is a Gambrel Shed a very attractive storage...
- Lean To Storage Shed-How To Build A Lean To Shed A lean to storage shed is a very useful addition...
Filed under How To Build A Shed by Terry